Anzac biscuits with a touch of rosemary



I didn't really discover Anzac Day until about 15 years ago when I went to a dawn service.

It was an effort getting small children up so early in the morning and then heading into the city for the Anzac Square service.  The still, cool morning air, the singer's voices, the bugle, the strange flickering light from the everlasting flame, a feeling of sadness and gratitude and the bouquets of flowers with messages for lost ones, are what I remember.

Afterwards we all enjoyed a slap up brekkie with bacon, eggs and more followed by a sleepy afternoon as we tried to catch up lost sleep.

My son rang yesterday to ask me if I was going this year. I'm passing tomorrow as it's been a hectic time lately but I will be joining him for a very early breakfast.  Thank you for the invitation Xander!

My grandmothers both lost brothers in the war - one on a hospital ship on the eastern coastline and the other shot down while flying.  Although I never knew Roy and Sid, the grief of their loss is a part of my family's history and I feel it still.

Grandma Ollie used to make great Anzac biscuits.  I don't know what she would think about adding a pinch of rosemary leaves to the mix but I loved the flavour twist.  Rosemary also signifies remembrance so that's a nice fit too.

Anzac biscuits were developed to send to soldiers overseas to vary their diet and share a bit of home love.  These were the days when everything travelled by ship so they had to last in an edible condition for some time.

This recipe comes from a Trafalgar Tours lunch I attended promoting their tours to Gallipoli.

Anzac Biscuits
(makes about 35 biscuits)

INGREDIENTS
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup desiccated (or shredded) coconut
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar                                                                                                                 
pinch of rosemary leaves
125 g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon water

METHOD
1) Preheat oven to 150°C
2) Mix oats, flour, sugar, coconut and rosemary together
3) Melt golden syrup and butter together
4) Mix bicarbonate of soda with boiling water and add to the melted butter and golden syrup; add to the dry ingredients
5) Place 1 tablespoon of mixture on a greased tray (allow room for spreading)
6) Bake for 20 minutes; let the biscuits cool down on the trays and then place them in an airtight container (will keep for 2-3 weeks)

If you've ever thought of going to Gallipoli and exploring the Anzac legend, check out Trafalgar's Turkey tours (you don't need a ballot ticket to be part of the tour).

Disclaimer: Ed+bK was a lunch guest of Trafalgar.